Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Pie Day

Pie day is always a big day.
I love making pies.
And I have enjoyed making pies with the kids since they were wee ones.
But this year...
they wanted to do - themselves.

They each picked a pie and they were in charge of that pie from start to finish.


Liam chose apple.
He did a great job.


Noble chose chocolate cream.
He has made this before and he is a pro at it.


H-y chose Banana Cream but as you can see he busied himself with many things today.
Hiding in the clean laundry on the couch.
Taste Testing the chocolate cream.
Washing the sink out with soap - this is his all time favorite activity. He did it about 23 times today. I think I have the cleanest sink in San Antonio.


This is Liam's Apple Pie.
If we gave blue ribbons around here - I think it would win.
Can you see the apple shaped cut outs and the apple shapes around the edges?
I have never made an apple pie before - because I don't like cooked apples. So this was a first for me too. I'm pretty proud of myself, I mean him, well- -us, it was a joint effort.


The best part of the day was when I called the boys down to make the pies (read: they had to stop watching Star Wars for the 1,458th time) to come. We were squeezing in a playdate with some favorite friends, the Candland's, today. I had cleaned the kitchen and got everything ready for them and put everything aside so they had my full attention and help. A few minutes into it Liam looks at me and says, "So if we are making the pies, what are you going to?"
In my head I thought....
Who cleaned the kitchen?
Who bought the apples?
Who made sure there was sugar for your pie?
Who will catch you before you cut off your finger with that knife?
Who will help you read the recipe?
Who will tell you what docking the pie dough is?
Who will teach you the easiest way to center a top crust?
Who will tell you that pies need to bake on the bottom rack so the bottom crust gets done?
Who will ...?
Well you get the idea.
What am I going to do... how thoughtful of you to ask. I am going to sit on the couch, eat bon bons and watch a sappy love story while you rub my feet! (oh, wait this is reality)

But it was a great day of baking with my kids.
I am thankful they like to cook.
I am thankful they are helpful.
I am thankful they show diligence, responsibility and dedication to family tradition.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Amber said...

What patience you have and the boys.. Making pies is a great task!!! I must say they look so good too. I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!!