Anyone that knows me well knows one of my greatest traits is my honesty.
In all things.
Honest in my dealings with my fellowman.
Honest in my words.
Honest in relationships.
Honest in my actions.
Honest with my feelings.
Honest.
Sometimes honesty is painful
Sometimes for me.
Sometimes for the one I am being honest with.
"It's very important to Mommy to be honest." - Alec tells the boys.
Compulsively Honest.
And as with all good traits - I recognize it can be a pitfall too.

What is the difference between these two cups?

One is a free water cup - filled with Soda.
The other is a soda cup filled with the same soda.
Today, when we actually made it to McDonald's for breakfast and two friends came to join me so that I wouldn't be a loner Mom at McD's with her kids- I spent a small fortune on breakfast and everyone got OJ. Because it was breakfast. The kids were happy to play. The Moms were happy to chat. About an hour and half into the playdate ala McD's - Liam says he is thirsty. I tell him to go to the counter and ask for a water cup (implied: to get water). I had just paid a small fortune for breakfast and OJ doesn't have refills, I had no intention of spending any more money at the arches.
But then. . .
I glance up from the Mommy table to see my sweet William at the kiddo table with a clear cup filled with soda! Gasp, sputter, shock! What?! He stared at me blankly as if to say "like gee Mom they gave me cup and with all the options why would I get water?" Ugh.
So I send him to counter to pay for a small soda.
That reflex was pretty quick.
I didn't think about it at all.
I was annoyed that I was making the arches just a little more golden by paying too much for colored sugar water.
Only then did I realize or remember that I was not alone, nor was my sweet William. His friend had also gotten a clear cup and filled it colorfully. And my actions had guilted another Mom into paying too - so now the arches are even more golden because of my honesty.
And it gets better.
After saying that Noble, the honest one, wouldn't have done it... he comes in 10 minutes later with a clear cup full of soda. I just can't win! I understand that they really didn't know that essentially they were stealing. They had no idea how over priced soda is. They didn't realize that the clear cup was clear so that everyone could tell if they didn't have water. Oh the innocence.
In all things.
Honest in my dealings with my fellowman.
Honest in my words.
Honest in relationships.
Honest in my actions.
Honest with my feelings.
Honest.
Sometimes honesty is painful
Sometimes for me.
Sometimes for the one I am being honest with.
"It's very important to Mommy to be honest." - Alec tells the boys.
Compulsively Honest.
And as with all good traits - I recognize it can be a pitfall too.
What is the difference between these two cups?
One is a free water cup - filled with Soda.
The other is a soda cup filled with the same soda.
Today, when we actually made it to McDonald's for breakfast and two friends came to join me so that I wouldn't be a loner Mom at McD's with her kids- I spent a small fortune on breakfast and everyone got OJ. Because it was breakfast. The kids were happy to play. The Moms were happy to chat. About an hour and half into the playdate ala McD's - Liam says he is thirsty. I tell him to go to the counter and ask for a water cup (implied: to get water). I had just paid a small fortune for breakfast and OJ doesn't have refills, I had no intention of spending any more money at the arches.
But then. . .
I glance up from the Mommy table to see my sweet William at the kiddo table with a clear cup filled with soda! Gasp, sputter, shock! What?! He stared at me blankly as if to say "like gee Mom they gave me cup and with all the options why would I get water?" Ugh.
So I send him to counter to pay for a small soda.
That reflex was pretty quick.
I didn't think about it at all.
I was annoyed that I was making the arches just a little more golden by paying too much for colored sugar water.
Only then did I realize or remember that I was not alone, nor was my sweet William. His friend had also gotten a clear cup and filled it colorfully. And my actions had guilted another Mom into paying too - so now the arches are even more golden because of my honesty.
And it gets better.
After saying that Noble, the honest one, wouldn't have done it... he comes in 10 minutes later with a clear cup full of soda. I just can't win! I understand that they really didn't know that essentially they were stealing. They had no idea how over priced soda is. They didn't realize that the clear cup was clear so that everyone could tell if they didn't have water. Oh the innocence.

No comments:
Post a Comment