Friday, November 21, 2008

I got the purse today!

Some of you have no idea what I am talking about.
Allow me to introduce you to...
The Sisterhood of the Traveling Purse.



One of my counselors came up with this great idea. We have four purses rotating through our ward. Each purse has a DVD "Hands of Heaven," a journal, a list of sisters in common area/neighborhoods, and treats! (Oh and instructions but that's common sense) When we receive the purse we watch the DVD while we eat the treats, write in the journal and then pass it on to one of the sisters on the list after adding our own treats and note to the sister we pass it to.

We have only been doing it a couple weeks and I have already heard do many uplifting stories of how this movie or this project has inspired and lifted women. We even had one person give it to a friend, a non member of our church, and she knew someone else on the list - so she passed it on. What a wonderful connection we are making in our ward and Sisterhood!

I can't tell you how happy, and surprised, I was to open my door this morning and see a Sister that I don't know very well standing there with a purse and fruit basket! I exclaimed, "Do I get the purse today?!" She was amused, I think she may have thought I was faking my enthusiasm, but you can't fake it like it's real!

We will be tying it all together with an Enrichment Meeting using President Uchtdorf's quote from Priesthood Session: "Stand close together and Lift where you stand" our theme for next year.

I got the purse, I got the purse, I got the purse!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anna and Dell said...

And you got quite the treat too! Hmmm now I'm feeling like a slacker for not having a great treat in the purse when I passed it on. Oh well. Congratulations dear Dixie, you totally deserve the purse. Now grab some kleenx and watch Hands of Heaven.

Amber said...

That is a Brilliant Idea!!! Good for you!!