Monday, November 10, 2008

Nov 10 - Cinnamon & Balance

When I attended Time Out for Women awhile back Hilary Weeks gave four ways that she keeps life in balance. (if you don't know who Hilary Weeks is: she is a songwriter, singe and motivational speaker, all gospel related)
Her Four Bullet Points were
1)Be engaged in what Heavenly Father wants me to do.
2) Study the scriptures - scripture study is like cinnamon, it only takes a little to spice up the recipe.
3) Choose the best things to spend your time on.
and
4) Take time for yourself.
Although some may protest they can only take Hilary Weeks in little amounts, I thought she had a point.
So, I re-arranged my and the kiddos schedule and I have made scripture study a bigger part of my day. It was always something I did in the morning because I knew that if I left it until evening - I wouldn't do it. Tried that, it didn't work. But doing it in the morning always left me rushed, eager to get on with the day, knowing hiccups and headaches would come, unforeseen interruptions were looming, knowing I would never get the whole to do list done anyway - I felt pressure to start as early as I could,and almost everyday skip or rush scripture study.
But.
I needed some help. I know this is the plan of happiness, I know that men are that they might have joy, and I know if I am not feeling the joy and happiness, I am the one that has closed the door. That He is there waiting, even knocking but I am rushing about too much to hear or open that one more door because what if He has something else for me to do?
My plan.
I pushed back the start of school time. I decided to let Noble (all of them, but mainly Noble) start the day with video games and I decided that I was going to sleep until I woke up, not set an alarm and that first thing in the morning I was going to study and pray. I found that I always woke up early than I thought I would. If I allow myself to get the rest it needs, I don't over sleep. I don't feel deprived of two great joys of mine, sleep and silence.
And you know what?
We start school later but we are getting it all done by the same time we used to. School work finished, chores done, practices in. I am getting the sleep I so desperately love, I am getting the spiritual nourishment that I so desperately need, I am getting so much more cooperation with the boys by letting them start the day with what they want to do, and I didn't take anything away from my day.
Well, yes I did.
I took away a great portion of the stress, bickering and nagging that I was dealing with day in and day out.
All with just a little cinnamon.
I am grateful for cinnamon, also known as: scripture study, and the balance it brings me.

Ps - I still don't get everything done. But the JOY is back.

No comments: