As you know, I have been reconnecting with friends and I have been delighted to find out that many of my long last friendships are also homeschooling. I have a support system I didn't even know that I had! One of those friends sent me to this homeschool blog - The Milestones Academy - which is jam packed with wholesome goodness. It made me feel inadequate for just a bit, but I got over that and sunk myself into all it's goodness.
I was a gonner from the beginning because there are GREAT quotes on the sidebar. Here are my two favorite.
"I am willing that every man shall believe what he wishes, print what he wishes, and say what he wishes within his Constitutional rights, but I am not willing that he shall exploit all his idiosyncrasies in teaching my flesh and blood, while I pay the bill! I insist that he shall have all the personal freedom he can carry, but I am not willing to extend that full and complete freedom into a gross license and then pay him to abuse that license to distort and debase the minds and hearts and bodies of those who belong to me and are dearer to me than life itself. "
--- J. Reuben Clark
While Alec was at the J. Reuben Clark Law School they encouraged us to get to know the man whose name Alec would be carrying around for the rest of his life as a Graduate of the law school. J. Reuben Clark took on a father figure, priesthood leadership, governor type roll in our lives as he continues to be a great leader even today by what he stood for and how he demonstrated his values. He has many good quotes that I have used over the years, but this one speaks to my homeschool heart.
I can't believe this quote is from 1996 - what would he say today?
"In many places it is literally not safe physically for youngsters to go to school. And in many schools - and its becoming almost generally true - it is spiritually unsafe to attend public schools."
---Boyd K. Packer (BYU Symposium, Oct. 1996)
1 comment:
I have thought long and hard about home schooling my own kids...I felt I couldn't given them what they needed or I would be doing what you are. I am very impressed by those who home school and do it so well. My cousin in Canada, Clay, home schools his kids and they are the best behaved, well mannered, smart.. kids ever etc. I applaud you for doing a job that is best done by their mother. Good for you and if you ever want someone to talk to about home schooling I will give you my cousin's and his wife's names. They actually travel all over the world presenting at home school seminars. Brilliant, Brilliant People You Guys Are!!!
Post a Comment