Tuesday, October 14, 2008

It's like watching paint dry!

The boys wanted to learn to sew. We picked PJ pants as I mentioned in a previous post. Noble's first choice would have been a ruffled-collared-long-sleeved-3-musketeer-type costume. He was devastated when I said, Um lets not do this first - I'm not saying you can't do it ever, just not as a start off project. He cried. Right there in the fabric store he cried and the Mommy in me wanted to give in but I knew, I knew full well that I would end up doing it because well, it wasn't' a starter project. PJ pants are a starter project.

enter starter project.
Knowing my boys I knew they needed results and fast.
What do you mean we have to cut out the pattern?
And we have to cut out the fabric too?
Now is it time to sew?
Good.
Look what I did while you were upstairs helping Hewy - oh, if I sew there it makes it a skirt not pants, whoops.
Enter the seam-ripper.
Mom can I have a play date - two play dates today.
Sure.
Now it's dinner time.
But I wanted to finish my PJ pants to wear tonight.
Are you kidding me, you had better be kidding me.
Nope not kidding.
Help them to feel successful.
Deep breaths


Liam was very good. He was slow. I went in the study one time and told Alec, it's like watching paint dry. I could finish them in a few minutes - but it took him an hour and half to do the waistband alone. But being slow, he was also careful. Very careful and very slow. I don't think he unpicked a stitch.


Noble on the other hand just wanted them done. He was not careful. He was not slow. He did unpick about half of everything he sewed. He spent about the same amount of time from start to finish on the pants that Liam did, but half of that was unpicking. He doesn't love sewing right now. He is grateful he did not pick the hard project to start because he is glad to be done right now and he is not asking what he can sew next.


the finished pants. You can't tell how soft these pants are. But they are super soft. And comfy.



This is what Alec and Hewy did last night as I helped the boys sew.
Hewy chess.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

The Awesome Rawsons said...

It sounds like you can learn a lot about someone by the way they sew. I think its really cool that they wanted to learn. I think I'd have a Noble personality where I want to learn, but get impatient and wind up rushing through.
Your recount of the events was poetic!

Dana said...

What a great idea! Maybe I'll incorporate that into my curriculum. I thought about it, but I haven't been brave enough.