Monday, October 13, 2008

friends through time

I logged on to her blog the other day and saw this picture and thought
1) Wow, that's a great picture.
and
2) When did she grow up?


Jennifer Kay snot-a-booger Calder Jenkins back to Calder
I call her Gonz for short.
And she lets me.

We met, crossed paths, became friends way back in 1988 (approx) at Vernal Junior High. I don't remember all the details but I do remember Carmelo candy bars for lunch. That means that for 20 of my 33 years here on earth I have called her friend, and Gonz, because that is who she has been since the beginning. The world has too many Jennifers says I.

And here we are in our thirtysomethings.
Remember the TV show, thirtysomething, that was on TV in our carefree youthful days? Oh the drama of that drama series. Could thirtysomething really be all that dramatic? Not for us, right, we were going to have it all figured out by thirtysomething, that was so old. If we only knew then what we know now.

Gonz was the one that when I announced I was going to baptised into the LDS church at age 15 she exclaimed as we walked through the commons of Uintah High School "What!? You're a better Mormon than me! You're not Mormon!?" That was a life influencing moment for me. People were watching me, knew who I was, what I stood for, she didn't know I wasn't Mormon - how long had we been friends?

This women, this Queen, this thirtysomething friend o' mine, is one wonderful person.
She is stronger than she thinks she is.
She is more righteous than most common peoples left pinkie.
She is a mother, kind and dear - not matter what she says otherwise.
She is dedicated to truth.
She is beautiful.
She is smart, funny, virtuous.
She is worthy.
Worthy of light, gentleness, peace and a choice son of Israel.
She is determined.
She is committed.
She knows God lives, that Jesus is the Christ and that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God.
She has felt loss. Deeply.
She has picked herself up and brushed herself off and says, lets try that again.
She is loved.
She is deserving.
She is valiant and meek.

She is my Friend.
How about another 20?



Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Jen Jenkins said...

holy crap!
when you said you might post my picture i didn't know it would be a standing ovation

you have meant so much to me all these years and i am so lucky to have you as a friend

i love you!!!

i don't think it will be just another 20 years-i plan on this wonderfulness lasting forever

love you again
gonz

ps-i miss texas(ie: mostly you and the fam)