
***Post edit - I really did intend for this to be a funny insightful look at the end of pregnancy, I know I have made many of you worry, sorry about that.***
I now know why women used to go off into the woods and be by themselves for the last weeks of pregnancy.
Enough with the comments from strangers asking if I am having twins or if I am over due. No, just one (big baby) in there ("yes really," I usually have to assure them - and they still tell me about their sister's friend's aunt that had surprise twins because one baby hid behind the other during ultrasounds - are all these people some how related or is that an urban myth?) and No, my due date isn't until September. (I say the last one with a smirk, just to get people's reaction. The due date is September 3 - but we are schedule for a c-section the August 26th) All in all, I do try and be polite.
And what about the endless "how are your feeling" questions? I feel pregnant PEOPLE! 8 1/2 months pregnant. Hottest summer in San Antonio History 100* South Texas Humidity Pregnant. Getting out of bed isn't so much fun these days kind of pregnant. I have to walk upstairs like a football player doing that odd tire drill because my belly makes my legs go off to the sides pregnant. I have to get into the car in a two or three step process pregnant. I have a (BIG) baby sitting on my colon and you really don't want the rest of that story pregnant. I just want to say to people - "I'm pregnant and that isn't going to change UNTIL the baby is born!"
I also don't want to tell even my closest friends the details of my appointments - and yet all kinds of people ask me about them. It's the same every week, I assure you: weight, blood pressure, pee in a cup, listen to the heart beat, ask questions and the occasional check down yonder. Why do people want to know about this stuff? Someday I am going to saying something like, "I gained 10 pounds this week, pee-ed green, my ankles are the size of cantaloupes and my blood pressure was off the charts but the doctors aren't that concerned." Then smile and walk away.
I am sure people mean well. Truly.
But I am one person being asked by what seems like the world how I am every time I get up, sit down, take a deep breath, sweat, eat, look someone in the eye or put a hand on my tummy. What's a pregnant women to do, or not do...
Today when I went to my two doctor appointments they both commented on my "big baby." Do they really think he is going to shrink from week to week? Perhaps next week I will feign surprise and say "WHAT! When did that happen?"
The whole reason I started this post was because today one doctor described him as a "Monster Baby!" What kind of doctor says that to a hormonal pregnant women? I don't need any help having out-there-crazy pregnancy dreams. I have a BIG baby using my internal organs as a punching bag 24/7, I really don't need to have visions of him being a monster too. Alien-like. It's bad enough when he stretches and I seriously (albeit imagined) think I can see his toes on his foot stretching my skin. Sometimes I grab his feet and pinch them so he can't move it for a moment. That only makes him kick, stretch or punch harder.
I think I feel better getting that all out.
My personal philosophy here is that women have been doing this for thousands of years - I am no different. I have no grand tale to tell. Sometimes I think I am disappointing people with my boring pregnancy. It is what it is.
Big Monster Gummy Bear Baby
is all I have to offer you!
:)

2 comments:
dixie you rock!!!
You do rock... People mean well I think but I especially loved reading this post because I can identify. There is this lady in our ward that always wants to know dirt, (she might be 1-2% crazy as well) and she has asked me THREE times since we moved here if I am pregnant. Sometimes directly, and the latest is "I heard a rumor" and then stares at my stomach. No! Thank you! I am not. Thank you. Thank you for fast-tracking a DI trip for whatever shirt/skirt combo I am wearing to church because it obviously either looks maternity or gives me that added I-gained-10-pounds-since-last-Sunday-look we all love. And maybe I wish I was pregnant so it really stings. I have been thinking of zingers to stick back to her and so far freeze and just want to cry anytime she asks. Or punch her in the throat. Is that graphic? I hate it when Captain Polite wins.
Anyway maybe she and Doctor Tact are related.
Some people's kids.
Anyway I miss you lots. Hang in there. Feel free to go hide woods-style. I may come join you. :)
Post a Comment