What happens at your house when you have several friends over for some casual chitchat and light nibbles?
I have decided to have a few friends over on Fridays to cure my lack of adult-female-conversations. Is it true that women need to speak 2,000 more words a day than men? Anyway...
Today I had friends over - maybe too many as I am not sure I got to talk to everyone. But this is a work in progress. A goal for self. And if you live in San Antonio or will be in the area on a Friday and you too need or want conversation let me know I'll have you over too.
I am sure there are things that happened that I am unaware of because I can't even really remember who was here - let alone keep track of everyone and everything.
- Young William (not my William, but a Sarah's William) came in from outside drenched from head to toe. He was washing his hands. And then Noble brought him a pink towel because we are such a girly family we have pink towels? We have one pink towel in the whole house - MY (the only female) beach towel. And this is the towel he brings dripping William?
- A decorative plate fell from it's display and a piece broke off. Nathan, the boy that had simply walked past it, not bumped or shaken it was sad, so sad. So we fixed it together while I reassured him he is more important than a plate.
- Ben was slimed. By who or what we don't know. It wasn't a little slime either, it was a good bit of drippy-clear-snot-consistency slime. Kind of like a giant Great Dane might do if offered a steak. He got a quick bath in the sink. (Ben doesn't talk and none of the other kids were willing to talk for him either.)
- I know that I put 45 chicken nuggets in the oven, and I know that Noble took them out when the timer went off. But I never saw them again. I thought I had fixed more than enough seeings how almost everyone was under 5 (other than Noble and my William) I wonder if I am going to find them between the couch cushions and in random drawers. Or did the kids really eat them all? Does anyone know how many kids were here? I get eight when I count, plus the two non-chicken-nugget-eating-babies. Did Ben even eat one or did he just vacuum my floors as he army crawled?
- I am also collecting cookies to send to Houston with "our men" to help clean Houston up. (I'll post on that later) and so I had random women from church stopping by with cookies. I should have thought that through better. I am sure some were wondering why they weren't invited to my little party and also having 20+ bags of cookies laying around that are "untouchable" is not so good for kids!
- The after Enrichment talk was delightful. That's all I am saying.
- I love that I have this kind of house. Love it.
Things break and it's okay. Kids run in and out and in and out and in and out and in and out and leave the door open each and every time and it's all good. Kids get soaked from nose to toes and don't freak out - he'll dry. Slime from the mysterious and imaginary dog that lurks around.
Today is one of those days that you sit back and say, okay, all the chaos, all the craziness, all the effort, energy, sweat and tears that go into my demanding, rowdy, hectic life is really kind of fun and rewarding in it's own out of the ordinary way.
Now if I can just remember that when it really matters.
2 comments:
Lunch was lovely, and let me just say that the slime reappeared later. Maybe he slimed himself on the top of his head?! Also, Ben had at least 4 nuggets!!
Oh it sounds wonderful. I wish I could have joined in! Have a great day!
Post a Comment