Friday, September 26, 2008

Today's lunch

It's Friday.
That means kicked back relaxed afternoon chatting with a few friends.

Here was today's lunch.
This is the left overs. I didn't take a picture of it all pretty on the platter - we were all salivating at that point.




First it is important to know that I use recipes the same way that Pirates use Pirate Code, they are guidelines, not restrictions that have to be followed to a T. So everything below in parenthesis, is what I did that was not in the recipe

Lemon Linguine with Crispy Prosciutto (I used bacon)

1 pound linguine, boiled according to directions
1/3 cup olive oil (I didn't measure and I am certain I didn't use that much)
1/3 cup minced shallots or onion (I used 1/2 of medium onion)
(1 small yellow zucchini sliced into half moons)
1 Tbs grated lemon zest
1Tbs garlic, minced (I used 3 large cloves)
4 oz Prosciutto (I used bacon (cooked) because I couldn't find prosciutto and I didn't have time to go to a second store)
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice (I used a 1/2 cup)
1/2 tsp each salt and pepper (I didn't measure)
4 cups loosely packed baby spinach
1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
For garnish - Parmigiano-Reggiano, sliced

(The time it took me to boil the water, was the same time it took to chop the veggies. The time it took to boil the pasta was the time it took to cook the veggies.)

Heat oil in a large skillet and saute all veggies, except spinach. Add lemon zest when veggies are tender. If using prosciutto add now and cook until crisp. If using cooked bacon, crumble in now. Remove from heat. Top with lemon juice. Stir in spinach. Place drained hot pasta on platter or large bowl. Toss with yummy lemon veggie mixture. Top with pine nuts. Garnish with shaved/sliced Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese. (Use a carrot peeler to slice off of a brick of cheese)

All in all - I started this dish at 12:30 and my first friend knocked on the door at 12:56. She saw me assemble it on the platter. So really, in real time, really, this is a thirty minute meal from start to table.
serves: recipe says 6
(I fed 4 ladies, 3 kids - and you see the lefotovers)
Posted by Picasa

No comments: