Just what am I teaching this little boy?
On this day Hewy had found a green marker and was drawing all over his yellow Pooh Bear Construction hat. Here is a selection of my random thoughts:
1) I shouldn't let him do that, how will he know what he can and cannot color or draw on?
2) Creative expression is a wonderful learning tool, he will be brilliant!
3) It's a cheap hat he has had for more than year, replaceable.
4) I bet the marker will wash right off in water.
5) Fine motor skills are important too.

I know there are Mom's out there in the world, some that know me and some that don't, that think that I am too lax with the boys. That I let them get away with too much, don't set enough rules, and even let them run wild from time to time. But here is the thing, how will they ever know who they are or who they want to be if THEY don't find out? I don't want them to be who I want them to be for me, and all moms will agree, accepting that fact is hard on the heart sometimes. I want long term happiness for them.
As parents we each are doing our best.
I chose to let Hewy color on the hat.
When he is generating graffiti on public property as a teenager, then I will stop him.
But this was his hat.
And he is two.
And it washed off.
And he was happy.
On this day Hewy had found a green marker and was drawing all over his yellow Pooh Bear Construction hat. Here is a selection of my random thoughts:
1) I shouldn't let him do that, how will he know what he can and cannot color or draw on?
2) Creative expression is a wonderful learning tool, he will be brilliant!
3) It's a cheap hat he has had for more than year, replaceable.
4) I bet the marker will wash right off in water.
5) Fine motor skills are important too.

I know there are Mom's out there in the world, some that know me and some that don't, that think that I am too lax with the boys. That I let them get away with too much, don't set enough rules, and even let them run wild from time to time. But here is the thing, how will they ever know who they are or who they want to be if THEY don't find out? I don't want them to be who I want them to be for me, and all moms will agree, accepting that fact is hard on the heart sometimes. I want long term happiness for them.
As parents we each are doing our best.
I chose to let Hewy color on the hat.
When he is generating graffiti on public property as a teenager, then I will stop him.
But this was his hat.
And he is two.
And it washed off.
And he was happy.

No comments:
Post a Comment