Today is Noble's ninth birthday. When I asked Noble what he wanted to do for his birthday he said he wanted to go to lunch with just me! Just me?
I arranged for Liam and Hewy to play at a friends house for a couple hours and Noble and I set off on our date.
First we headed to Red Robin for some lunch. He ordered grilled cheese, fries, Sprite and a chocolate milkshake. (Hey, it's his birthday) After we ate, they brought him a chocolate Sundae and sang one of those crazy loud restaurant birthday songs. He was delighted.
At first the conversation didn't seem to roll freely but I kept asking questions and before long he was talking back and forth with me.
I asked what is his favorite possession?
He said: I have a lot of nice, good things. My DS is probably my favorite.
I asked what he liked about being eight the most?
He said D.C. and Florida (I think he has the travel gene)
I asked if he still like homeschool? (delighted that his eyes immediately lit up!)
He said: yes, I get to learn more things about what I want to learn about and have more time with my family.
I asked who his favorite people are?
He said: my brothers, my Dad, my Mom and my family.
I asked if he misses Utah anymore?
he said: sometimes I miss cousins and friends, and Boondocks. He added that "all" his cousins live in Utah. Which I quickly corrected him. If he adds them all up and counts and especially if he counts Todd's kids - he has more cousins in Texas than in Utah.
I asked what he wanted to learn more about this year?
He said: Space.
I asked what about space?
He said: the planets, space shuttles, stars, maybe going to mars.
I probably shouldn't add this, but I asked what he wants to work on this year.
He said: not picking my nose, not biting my finger nails and keep reading the book of Mormon.
After our lunch we went to Barnes and Noble at his request and he picked out a Star wars set of books - it has all six books.
It was a delightful to spend the afternoon with my oldest son and see who he is becoming.
2 comments:
I love the way you mother! You are an inspiration to me. What a perfectly wonderful way to spend your afternoon!
You are a wonderful mother! I love to hear ways to encourage conversations with children. I figure, if they talk to you when they're young - they'll talk to you when they're older. Thanks for the post!!
Jenn
Post a Comment