Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Something I learned the past 24 hours

Did you know that when you are "under the weather' it can cause normally mild eczema to flare out of control into a flaming red rash that covers most of the body and resembles the measles? If you woke up to see your six month old looking this way would you slightly, in a motherly fashion, FREAK out?

I did.

Joseph has always had patches of eczema on his body, chest, back, arms, legs, behind his ears, cheeks, under his chin, and at the nap of his neck. I have always been able to keep it in check. The past week it had started to brighten but it was always in the same patches that he has always had so I just figured it was him aging.

But yesterday. It literally covered his chest, arms and neck. And it was flame red and blotchy. I told myself it was just the eczema but the little dooms-day voice in the back of my head worried otherwise.

Thankfully it is just eczema. I learned a lot from our P.A. about eczema yesterday. Like how to treat it when it looks like it did. (It's 93% better today, hasn't looked this good in weeks)

I am sad I didn't take a picture so that you all could see just how freakish the poor kiddo looked. I have thought a lot about how a baby must feel about eczema - he doesn't understand itch, let alone scratch. How irritating that must be!

No comments: