Sunday, December 30, 2007

Luck of the Wii

I started saying more than 8 months ago that I wanted a Nintendo Wii (said "we") for Christmas. I wanted because they sounded really cool and like something I would enjoy, but also, I wanted it so that when the family played I was in charge! (insert evil laugh here)

Then Christmastime came, and it was hard to get your hands on one. So I didn't get one.

Until yesterday.

Yesterday at the conclusion of our mid-day Saturday date we were ending our date in the usual manner, we were buying milk. It's so nice to hit the stores without kids that I take full advantage of having a sitter and we buy milk just about every week as part of our date. Yesterday we were leaving Costco, where everyone knows my children's names because we are there too often, as we walked out we were chatting with some friends we ran into, just like always, and as I handed the guy at the door my receipt to prove I had paid for my milk, I saw in a glance a women entering the store with a Nintendo Wii. I assumed the only reason someone would walk into Costco with a Wii would be to return it. So I pointed it out to Alec.

Now you have to understand if you don't already, these magic little electronic boxes have been quite difficult to come by. And they are tons of fun - that's why everyone from Grandpa and Grandma's to three and four year olds are playing with it. Here in San Antonio every time any stores get a shipment in, they arrive on Sunday. They start handing out tickets at 7a.m. and if you have ticket 52 and they only get in 51 you don't get one. Add in the fact that it was always a Sunday, and we don't shop on Sunday unless it is medicine or some other immediate need, we chose not to get a Wii for Christmas.

Alec went to the lady with the Wii and asked if she was indeed returning it and if it worked. No use in buying a broken anything, let alone a Wii. So, as soon as she returned it, he bought it. LOVE THAT MAN!

So last night as a family we each created our Mii's, even a little H-y one. And then we played sports together as a family. Tennis, Bowling, Golf, Boxing, Baseball. Until it was bed time.

This morning Noble came to me and said, "Seeings how the Wii is new and it really isn't a violent game, except the boxing, can we play the Wii today?" See, I told you it was fun.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

WAY TO GO! Is it fun? I have heard they are great fun!

naturegirl said...

Oh, that's great! We want one, too but couldn't get our hands on one for much the same reason. What luck for you! Maybe I'll try the same thing next time I go to Costco :-)