Sunday, December 30, 2007

Eyes and Ears

Having a wonderful child, well- children, is such a blessing. And then at times, it can be a curse.

Saturday, Alec and I concluded there must be something going on with Hewy. He seemed fine, no fever, no other symptoms, but he had been up all night. When I would ask if he had "an ouch" sometimes he would say no, sometimes he would say "eye," sometimes he would say "ear," others he would say "head." I thought he was making it all up he was being so random!

Then he did have a small, maybe green, goop in the corner of one eye. So we took him in the after-hours Pediatrics. Not usually the ones to fret over small things with our kids, he just seemed off.

As the doctor examined the sleeping Hewy in Alec's arms, it was discovered that he has flaming red ear infections in both ears and eye infections in both eyes. See what I meant by the curse of good children? So I have thought a lot about the last couple days, just how long has he been sick? He has been very loud and aggressive this week. I thought that was because he was the youngest and two. He has asked to be held, "hold you" is what he says as he reaches his arms up. I thankfully held him most of the time, knowing when he is seven and nine he won't be asking for such things. Perhaps a little more whiny and certainly more demanding of his Dad this week. "Daddy, HOME, Now!" he would yell into the phone. Or from the bottom of the stairs, "Daddy!" and he would refuse to go or down the stairs at all by himself if Alec was home.

I tend to think of fevers, runny noses, no appetite and sleepless nights as the clues to ear infections. I guess Hew is demanding and likes to be held.

No comments: