Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Sweet Misery

A couple nights ago Hew woke up around 2am and stayed up until nearly 5 - although awake, he played happily. The next day he had a running nose and slight chesty cough. We bought Mucinex for him and gave him Nightime Triaminic and he slept the next night fine. Yesterday he had the goopiest constant runny nose he has ever had and got in all sorts of random trouble, like breaking knickknacks and drawing on walls. And then last night he woke up and cried for several hours, and hours and did I say hours. Anyone knows that after an hour of inconsolable crying everyone is about to go mad! Alec finally got him back to sleep after giving him some Tylenol because he thought he felt warm. That lasted long enough for Alec to shower and leave for work - and Hew was up and crying inconsolably again. For those of you that don't know Hewy well, he doesn't cry. He's tough, he falls on his face and says "again!" But he has been crying more, I thought/think because he is TWO and discovering emotion. But hours of inconsolable crying, songs didn't work, Curious George didn't work, being up with Daddy didn't work.... Something was wrong. He started saying early this morning (4am) "Ouch! Ear!"

OH! An ear infection! It's wonderful how much communication can do! A few numbing drops and another dose of Tylenol and we were good to go until the doctor could fit us in.
I love modern Medicine. I love small pediatric groups that are easy to get into. I love husbands that function better on less sleep than I do. I love concerned brothers that didn't mind being woke up to a screaming toddler. I love Wal-Mart Pharmacy. I love health insurance. I love being a modern day pioneer. I wouldn't have made it across the plains!

While at the doctor, Noble and Liam did their Grammar and Math, just as if they were at home at their desks. Hew sat quietly on the exam table and gently patted his little hands on his knees. Yes, something was definitely amiss with that little guy. He sat through the exam and answered the docs questions. Sat still. Quietly. No climbing or jumping or screaming (gleefully or sadly)

Misery has it's sweetness too! The peace I needed came. The quiet I needed came. The cooperation of older children came. So much to be thankful for.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Dixie,
I'm so sorry that I wan't able to take the boys for you. But mostly I'm sorry that you've had an ear infection in your life. Believe Me I UNDERSTAND!!! Let me know if it doesn't get better soon!
Lucy

Ruth said...

today james had to try to work from home to take care of the kids because i was sooo sick all day fever and other lovely stuff. i too am grateful for a husband that loves me and understands what I truly need.

naturegirl said...

Oh, not so fun. I know what those long, crying hours before I discover it is an ear infection are like. But, kudos to you for finding the ways to be thankful. What a great example you are :-) I hope he gets better soon!