Yesterday was the last day of Public school. We are going to do "school" through summer and then take off a couple months when the baby comes. Traditionally however, on the last day of school we invite all our friends over for a Rootbeer Float party.
I didn't take a single picture. (GASP! The Horror!)
Several of our friends came, the kids jumped on the trampoline, played on the rainbow, kicked back in the sand box, while the parents hung out in the shade of the oaks trees and chatted.
Everyone had at least one rootbeer float. Gads of goodies like cookies, cupcakes, peanut butter pretzels, and fruit.
This morning when I got up, or rather, surfaced to the rest of the family (I had been up for a while and just been in my room), but when I came to the kitchen, both Noble and Liam gave me hugs and Noble said, "Gosh that was a good time, Mom!" and went on to tell me everything he liked about the rootbeer float party.
That's why I have these silly traditions. The boys look forward to them, but I really believe that when they look back on their childhood, these are the days they will remember. And how hard is it to send out an email inviting people over, buy a bucket of ice cream and several two liters of rootbeer? For about half the cost of what it would cost to take my children to movie we had 40 of their closest friends over for an afternoon and they are still talking about it the next day.
I wish mothering was always that easy.
No comments:
Post a Comment