Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Green Basket

We have a "job" at our house. Noble and Liam rotate who does it day by day.
It's called "The Green Basket."

FYI: The Green Basket is actually brown. It used to be a green canvas basket that was smaller than the brown canvas basket that has replaced it. Too many boys, too much stuff would be the reason for the change. How ever the name is stuck in our brains and we all still call it "the green basket," even though it is brown. We really confuse some people when we talk about.

The purpose of the green basket that sits on my kitchen counter is to collect "stuff" that needs to be put away. It started as my relief from pick up and putting away little boys things that get left laying around. And also a relief from going up and down our 21 steps to get to the bedrooms or playroom.

Sadly, many days, the green basket gets neglected. Not that I stop putting things in it mind you! Boys forget that it needs to be emptied. I have even seen them "put something away" in the basket. Like I say: "Liam go put your reading book away" and he picks it up off the table and puts it "away" int he green basket. ABUSE of my system!

So on Monday, which is our lets regain control of the house and do our best to keep it picked up, day. I cleaned my room and bathroom, they cleaned theirs. We cleaned the gameroom together. We all worked on the downstairs, often in different rooms, but working together. We all worked on the kitchen together. The house looked great and for the most part we were DONE!

Except.

I asked the boys if they knew what "the elephant in the room" meant. Surprisingly, they did. So I asked them to look around and see if they could see any elephants! They both ducked their chins, smirked and said, "the green basket?"

"YES the GREEN basket!" you sillies!
It was over flowing, on to the counter and on to the floor!



This is Noble loaded up with some Green Basket goods to return to their homes. You can see the green basket on the counter behind him. It shouldn't be piled!


When I took the pic of Noble, Liam said "take a picture of me!"

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Tina said...

Oh, I think I'm going to have to steal this idea! I love it! Hmmm... what can I use for our green basket?