I couldn't decide what was the better title, so I went with both.

This picture was taken to show Hewy's hospital bracelet and his bandaged arm where they drew blood. I love how proude-fully he is displaying them and the smirk on his face.
Am I really ready to blog this?
And if so, then where do I begin?
Our Scare
When I put Hewy down after getting him out of bed he looked at me with a pained "what did you do that for" look and then collapsed to the floor. The night before Alec and I noticed he had was walking funny. I watched him for awhile and he couldn't, try as he might, get up. He tried to crawl, but still when he put weight on his right leg, he whimpered. I called the doctor who wanted to see him ASAP. He had limited range of motion in his right hip and (suspected) referring pain to his knee. All kinds of soft spoken big words rambled from the doctors mouth - all I was waiting to hear was "Motrin and rest" but instead I heard, "blood work, x-rays," and a whole lot of scary sounding could and might be's.
Our Champ
We have always said that Hewy is tough. That Hewy is calm and laid back for the most part. Did he ever earn his titles today! First the x-rays. Cold, sterile room. Laid right down on the table, stayed there, still as could be for two x-rays. No cries, no fussy, no whining, no problems - completely still. Next came the blood work. Friendlier room, still very white and sterile. Laid down on the bed and stayed there. They brought in a tough but gentle looking helper to hold him down in a gentle hug slash cradle kind of way. When they stuck him - no flinch, no cry, no whimper - and then the vein rolled and they couldn't find it. He stayed still and quiet. The tough guy loosened his gentle but firm hug on him. What seemed like 20 minutes but was probably two or three while they looked for the vein, he stayed there, still, laying on the bed, not fussing or crying. They got what they needed and brought him some juice, he said Thank you.
The Afternoon
So we waited all afternoon which felt like an eternity for the results. Finally at 5:30 they called to say "Everything is as normal as we would expect it to be as if there was nothing wrong." The doctor then went through all the blood tests that were done and said they were all normal. So this must be viral. Synovitis. It should get better in a week or so. And then the words I wanted to hear, "Motrin and rest" as I thought to myself - oh he shouldn't have been outside playing Star Wars with his brothers all afternoon then.
He now walks, just funny. Like a duck - ironic, I know. Hewy the duck.
This picture was taken to show Hewy's hospital bracelet and his bandaged arm where they drew blood. I love how proude-fully he is displaying them and the smirk on his face.
Am I really ready to blog this?
And if so, then where do I begin?
Our Scare
When I put Hewy down after getting him out of bed he looked at me with a pained "what did you do that for" look and then collapsed to the floor. The night before Alec and I noticed he had was walking funny. I watched him for awhile and he couldn't, try as he might, get up. He tried to crawl, but still when he put weight on his right leg, he whimpered. I called the doctor who wanted to see him ASAP. He had limited range of motion in his right hip and (suspected) referring pain to his knee. All kinds of soft spoken big words rambled from the doctors mouth - all I was waiting to hear was "Motrin and rest" but instead I heard, "blood work, x-rays," and a whole lot of scary sounding could and might be's.
Our Champ
We have always said that Hewy is tough. That Hewy is calm and laid back for the most part. Did he ever earn his titles today! First the x-rays. Cold, sterile room. Laid right down on the table, stayed there, still as could be for two x-rays. No cries, no fussy, no whining, no problems - completely still. Next came the blood work. Friendlier room, still very white and sterile. Laid down on the bed and stayed there. They brought in a tough but gentle looking helper to hold him down in a gentle hug slash cradle kind of way. When they stuck him - no flinch, no cry, no whimper - and then the vein rolled and they couldn't find it. He stayed still and quiet. The tough guy loosened his gentle but firm hug on him. What seemed like 20 minutes but was probably two or three while they looked for the vein, he stayed there, still, laying on the bed, not fussing or crying. They got what they needed and brought him some juice, he said Thank you.
The Afternoon
So we waited all afternoon which felt like an eternity for the results. Finally at 5:30 they called to say "Everything is as normal as we would expect it to be as if there was nothing wrong." The doctor then went through all the blood tests that were done and said they were all normal. So this must be viral. Synovitis. It should get better in a week or so. And then the words I wanted to hear, "Motrin and rest" as I thought to myself - oh he shouldn't have been outside playing Star Wars with his brothers all afternoon then.
He now walks, just funny. Like a duck - ironic, I know. Hewy the duck.

4 comments:
I haven't checked blogs in a couple of days and I just read your entry. oh Dixie, how scary. I am so grateful and happy that he is okay. What a weird virus? I will definitely call you when something like that happens here. You have such a brave little boy! You are always in my thoughts.
dix
i was bracing myself when I started to read-my mind said it's all okay or she would've called instead of blogged it.
relief! let us know when the virus is gone
love you tons and tons
gonz
glad to hear all is well and that he is getting better. hope your peace of mind is back as well and his health. love ya ruth
Oh Dixie! Seriously! How much can a loving mother endure??? You are the champ!!
Jenn
Post a Comment