[Warning gushing prideful Mommy moment ahead!]
All three boys had dentist appointments today. Eee! "the dentist." I try really hard to hide the FACT that I have a personal dislike for dentists. My mouth, my teeth, why does anyone else get to have an opinion. MINE! I do like our Pediatric dentist - probably because he has never asked about or commented on my mouth or teeth. He is a really good dentist and nice guy. We could be friends, but I don't think either of us want more friends.
So, me and the three boys were taken to the family room - did you know dentists these days have "family rooms?" I did not. It was a room behind the usual chairs where I guess normal people with 2 or fewer children go. That is where I had always been with Noble and Liam before - but today Hewy had an appointment.
So there were three teeth cleaning chairs, two normal chairs, a child's table with chairs, a train table like the one in the waiting room and one of those giant cubes with wire and beads and other fun things to play with covering all sides, books, toys and magazines. I was impressed. It was almost fun.
Chair number one - Noble
Chair number two - Liam
Chair number three - Hewy
While one child was worked on he others could play, but when it was their turn they hopped on to their assigned chair.
Noble is a champ. No stress, no concerns, no worries. Teeth and gums look good.
Liam on the other hand has had so much dental work done that just sitting on the chair makes his jaw start to tremble and his hands visibly shake. But he makes it through it with the gentle coaxing of the nice hygienist.
Hewy jumps right up on the chair and when asked to open does so widely and proudly! Okay here is the gushing mommy - He's two! He was brave and obedient. He was helpful and calm. We had practiced "what does a Hippo say?" (open mouth wide like a hippo), we read Dora books about a trip to the dentist, we talked about it - but he's TWO, I didn't know how much he understood. I have to admit that I waited, waiting for the trigger. Something was going to happen that made him flip out - would it be her fingers in his mouth, the spinning cleaning brush, the water squirter thing, the sucker that sucks out all the water and spit, the fluoride? Nada.
So then the dentist comes in and we start the process over.
Noble - check double check, perfect teeth. A little all over the place, but great teeth. He has another molar coming lose.
Liam - oh, Liam. He has "broke the root" of all four of his capped teeth. he says they do not hurt, so we leave them for now. He has some minor soft spots, something to watch - but no cavities.
Hewy - again jumps up on the chair. Opens when he needs to, bites down when he needs to. Wonder boy.
Everyone including the receptionists were impressed, by time we made it to the desk they had "heard" how wonderful the little guy was. He was the talk of the office. "A two year old?" "What did you do to prepare him?" "He is the best two year old we have ever seen!" "This was his first visit? Kids always cry on their first visit!" Not my boy!
So all the cheesy practice smiles and Hippos open wide practice of the past weeks paid off.
No comments:
Post a Comment